Applications for Student Trustee are now open to any current student at Lancaster University. You can apply here now until Wednesday 14th June, 12pm
This is an incredible opportunity for a student to contribute to the Students’ Union, learn about business, HR, finance and charity law, and to make a valuable contribution to the lives of your fellow students. Our Board of Trustees is looking to appoint a resourceful, determined and committed student who will help to drive the Students’ Union to better meet the needs of its members. Applications are welcomed from any current Lancaster University students.
Trustees are the people who form the governing body or ‘board’ of a charity. They are the people with ultimate responsibility for directing the business of the charity. Our Board of Trustees is currently made up of a mix of students, elected officers and external members who can offer a different perspective and expertise. The Trustees ensure that the Students’ Union complies with the law, remains true to its charitable purpose, remains solvent and uses funds responsibly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure the Students’ Union acts in accordance with its charitable status, constitution, other guiding documents and relevant legislation, while remaining true to its mission, vision and values.
- To help the Students’ Union achieve its objectives and improve the lives of its members.
- To ensure the Students’ Union applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its charitable aims and objectives.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role by determining the Students’ Union strategy, overseeing overall policy, ensuring financial sustainability, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the Students’ Union.
- To recruit, appraise, and manage the Chief Executive.
- To ensure the Students’ Union does not undertake activities which put its financial stability, members or reputation at undue risk.
- To protect and manage the property of the Students’ Union (where applicable), and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
- To add value to the Students’ Union through the use of any specific knowledge or expertise they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. Through scrutinising Board or Committee papers, leading discussions on key issues, providing advice and guidance to the board on new initiatives, broadening thinking and promoting creativity and innovation.
Download the full role description here.
Apply for this role here.
Need more information about being a Trustee? Find out more here.